Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How Individuals Learn Best?

There are various ethnicities. There are several genders. There are even numerous religious beliefs. In addition, there are several origins. All of these characteristics describe the diversity of individuals all around us. However, the diversity does not stop there. The way individuals learn and process information varies. When I ponder upon the idea of how people learn best, these factors come into play.

From visual maps, graphs, and charts, to lecturing and note taking, every individual has their own blueprint for learning. Tapping into the individualized learning of each individual will maximize the learning experience of each person. However, collaboratively, individuals learn best when they can relate information to their everyday lives. When this occurs, true learning is taking place!

4 comments:

  1. Evonie,
    Well said. I agree that application of our skills and knowledge brings deeper meaning regardless of learning styles or many other areas of diversity. Would you consider yourself to be a constuctivist style of instructor?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evonie,

    I really like your list of difference found in people. I think that you also have to make learning relavent for the student. Students have to understand how learning applies to them personally and how they will be able to use it later in their life. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Wenzel,

    Thanks for the question! I would have to consider myself as a constructivist style teacher. I saw this because I believe in building on prior knowledge. I believe in a classroom setting that promotes various opinions and ideas, and where learners take an active role in learning. I try to create assignments where my students can express their opinions, make connections to their lives and things around them, and to effectively research and experiment. I view myself as a coach and as a modeler. Thus placing their learning experience in the palm of their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Evonie,
    I would consider myself a constructivist style teacher as well. I love building on student's prior knowledge to see what they already know. Sometimes, it amazes me to hear what they do know and their way of explaining their reasoning. I also like the fact that you mentioned the different maps and graphic organizers that help with different learning styles. I love graphic organizers and maps. This is a way of organizing student thinking into very specific categories. I often watch students while we work on these graphic organizers and watch their faces once they realize that they are organizing their information and its easier for them to understand how all of the concepts relate to one another.

    ReplyDelete