Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Module 2- Cognitivism as a Learning Theory

As I was reviewing the selected readings for this module, there are several things in which etched in my mind. Karl Kapp stated that “learning is not one thing,” He went on to say that it is a “layered word that tends to get treated as if it were just one thing… and it’s not” (2007). That is a very powerful statement.

AS I think about my chosen profession, an educator, it is hard for me to not make the personal connection on this topic at hand. It is such a rewarding and difficult task to educate the minds of others. However, the difficulty comes with the various learning styles. How can you reach each child? How can you ensure that each child is obtaining the subject matter at hand? How does each child learn? The answer to these questions are ones in which can not be directly answered.

AS an educator, do I follow the cognitive theory or do I follow some of the other theories? I must admit, I do not directly have an answer for that. It is my opinion that a human mind is too complex to pin point one learning theory in which to follow. Therefore, a combination of all theories are needed in order to educate one individual. This is my theory for not only the learning of my students but for myself. We are too complex as humans to be limited to one learning theory. So I ask the question, how can you decipher which learning theory is best suitable for an individual?

Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and About: discussion on educational schools of thought. Retrieved from http://karlkapp.blogspot.com/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational.html.

Kerr, B. (2007, January 2). _isms as filter, not blinker. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

2 comments:

  1. Evonie, you brought up some good points. I think that learning theory has less to do with the individual and more to do with the task. For example, in the Army it is all about drill and practice. If you do it right you do not get punished; wrong and you have to do something aversive like push-ups or flutter-kicks. Because of the strong emotional component (fear) and the human response to avoid the aversive stimulus (pain) learning occurs. Now, Cognitive theories are excellent in the classroom, but do not create a "muscle-memory" that will enable you to make quick decisions without thinking. Conversely, tasks that require an understanding and comprehension of the material, reading music for example, are best achieved through a combination of rote learning (Behaviorism) and an understanding of music theory by building upon experience through practice (Cognitivism). As a teacher, you find the right mix, not for the student, but for the objective of your lesson; however, it not nearly as neat and pretty as the textbooks would lead you to believe :o) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane, you have made a good point about the learning theories applying more to the task than the individual. This is a point I hadn't considered. When do you feel that the learner and theory come together, if at all?

    ReplyDelete